The Position PLEASE NOTE: This recruitment is for Entry-Level and Lateral Police Officers. This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm, Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
This is a sworn law enforcement position with an emphasis on Community Policing, focused on crime prevention, organizational excellence, community engagement, and inclusion. Portland Police Officers work with diverse communities within the City of Portland to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property, and promote individual responsibility as well as community commitment. A Portland Police Officer functions and communicates effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds. The Portland Police Bureau provides excellent training, pay and benefits. Officers serve the community in many unique and rewarding ways. New officers will work various shifts and geographical areas as assigned. Additional information is available at https://www.joinport
landpolice.com/faq/ . External applicants start at the entry salary rate unless you qualify as a Lateral Police Officer.
This classification is represented by the Portland Police Association (PPA) . To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840
and click on the appropriate link. To QualifyENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
At the time of application:
LATERAL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be 20.5years old.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have three (3) years of continuous service in another police agency as a sworn police officer for a recognized state, county, or city (municipal) agency, to include sworn Indian Tribal Police, AND must have been employed there within the last two (2) years.
- Military police, Corrections and Parole/Probation DO NOT QUALIFY as a Lateral Police Officer.
- Federal Law Enforcement experience will be considered on a case by case basis.
must meet each of the following conditions.
The Recruitment ProcessFRONTLINE WRITTEN EXAM (Pass/Fail)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen within one (1) year of employment, or a nonimmigrant legally admitted to the United States under a Compact of Free Association https://cann.us/work/hb-2594/. Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. (Application for U.S. citizenship requires 5 years of residency).
- Must possess a valid driver's license at the time of application.
- Have no excessive traffic violations.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no conviction of a crime involving domestic violence.
- Have not used any marijuana products within the last year.
- Have no dishonorable discharge from any branch of military service.
- Cannot have any offensive forms of body art or tattoos. Tattoos above the collar may be considered case by case. More information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/ .
- Must have vision correctable to 20/30. Additional information on medical requirements can be found on the DPSST F-2 at http://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/SC/pages/cjforms.aspx .
- Lateral applicants, and applicants who possess a bachelor's degree are NOT required to take the NTN Frontline Written Exam.
- Applicants are encouraged to schedule and take the National Testing Network (NTN) Frontline Written Exam prior to applying to the City of Portland. Test and scheduling information can be found at https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/. While you are not required to have this test completed prior to application, you will be asked to complete all three (3) components of the exam within 60 days of being placed on the eligible list and achieve the following minimum scores: Reading ability test- 70, Writing ability test- 70 and Video-based human relations- 65.
- Additional information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/entry#phase-1-the-test .
Additional InformationApplications will be processed for placement on an equally ranked eligibility list approximately every two (2) weeks. ONCE ON AN ELIGIBLE LIST, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL ON THE ADDITIONAL STEPS IN THE POLICE OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS WHICH INCLUDE:
- Applicants will complete the on-line application and supplemental questionnaire. Applicants who are disqualified from the supplemental questionnaire will not be able to reapply until the next recruitment cycle.
- Veteran's Preference. Upload and attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability rating (if applicable) with your application. You must also check the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application .
- PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT and REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. Further information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/documents/ .
- PRE-PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM
- PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST (PASS/FAIL)
- IN-DEPTH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
- QUALIFYING PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM
- QUALIFYING MEDICAL EXAM
- INTERVIEW PANEL (PASS/FAIL)
Additional Information on the recruitment process can be found at https://www
The Portland Police Bureau offers free monthly hiring process workshops
to assist applicants in the selection process. Workshop information can be found at https://w
andpolice.com/workshops/ . This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm, Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
All applications for this position must be submitted online and in the possession of the Portland Police Bureau of Human Resources no later than that date.
If you need any assistance please contact Officer Parik Singh or Officer Sarah Kerwin at (503) 823-0333 or PPBRecruiter@portlandoregon.gov or https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/con
Follow us on Facebook at https://www
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human ResourcesTeresa.Dahrens@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 823-4516An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Wages & Benefits Information:http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/wages-benefits/ Additional Information Regarding This Recruitment:http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/60019 Frequently Asked Question:http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/
Closing Date/Time: 12/31/2019 11:59 PM Pacific