The Position *** THIS POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED. FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED WILL BE ON MAY 31, 2019. ***
The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position ofASSOCIATE PLANNER
to fillone (1)current vacancy in the area of Current Planning
in the COMMUNITY AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT.
This is the journey-level professional classification in the Planning Series.The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up tosix (6) months.
The City of Riverside Community & Economic Development Department is seeking the best and brightest planning professionals to join a team committed to building a world-class City. The Associate Planner, under the direction of aSenior Planner, performs professional level work including preparing reports and analysis of land use and development programs being considered by the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission and City Council; conducts research into planning, zoning and sustainability issues;prepares and conducts planning surveys, land use studies and research; performs zoning plan checks for compliance with municipal and state codes; interacts with design professionals, developers and the public; prepares and reviews initial environmental assessments; attends community meetings and public hearings and presents reports; participates in general plan and other long range planning programs. The work environment is team-oriented, fast-paced, challenging, rewarding, and fun. The City values innovation, initiative, customer service, collaboration and community engagement.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Compile information, prepare reports of a moderate to complex nature, and make recommendations on special studies pertaining to land use, zoning, housing and other planning functions.
- Review zoning code amendments, variances, conditional use permits, design review, and other similar planning related applications; prepare legal notices to public hearings; prepare reports pertaining to advisability and permissibility of the requests; confer with property owners and petitioners regarding effect and implications of zoning and developments actions.
- Review buildings plans, parcel maps and subdivision proposals for compliance with appropriate regulations; prepare reports of recommendations for review by superiors, various boards and commissions and the City Council.
- Present staff reports to a board or commission served by the Planning Division.
- Assist the general public by providing information on Zoning and General Plan matters and development related case processing information.
Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major study in planning or a related field considered to be useful in City planning work.Experience:
A minimum of 18 months of professional planning experience comparable to that of an Assistant Planner at the City of Riverside.Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Two years of experience managingCurrent Planning projects.
- Experience in composing concise staff reports and letters.
- Experience conducting presentations for boards and/or commissions.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION :
*** THIS POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED. FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED WILL BE ON MAY 31, 2019. *** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
- Completed Employment Application
- Completed Supplemental Questions
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
A. An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html
or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/
B. An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.