Essential Functions: These functions may not be present in all positions in these classes. When a position is to be filled, the essential functions will be noted in the announcement of position availability. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Upon hire, completes the Department's Field Training Program; patrols a designated area of the City in a patrol car to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes, and to enforce traffic regulations; answers calls and complaints involving fire, traffic accidents, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies and takes necessary police action; makes arrests; conducts accident investigations and preliminary investigations at the scenes of crimes, administers first aid, gathers evidence, locates and questions witnesses; testifies as a witness in court; patrols various streets, schools, and colleges for parking violations; recovers stolen property; provides information to the public; escorts cars to hospitals; escorts parades and funeral processions; prepares necessary records and reports; may perform jailer duties such as processing arrested persons and maintaining security of the jail; may perform desk officer duties such as handling telephone calls and visitors, and fingerprinting taxicab drivers, entertainers, and various other persons; and performs other related work as required.
This recruitment is specifically for Part-time Reserve Police Officer (Level I)
candidates (this is not for entry-level Police Recruit, Academy Graduate Officers, or Lateral Police Officer). To apply for any of those positions, click here to visit the Employment Opportunities page.RESERVE POLICE OFFICER (LEVEL I):
$38.00 hourly plus part-time benefits COMMUNITY PROFILE:
The City of Costa Mesa-- just one mile from the Pacific Coast in the heart of Orange County--is one of California's most eclectic and vibrant cities. The city is home to South Coast Plaza, one of the nation's largest shopping centers, and the world-class Segerstrom Center for the Arts and South Coast Repertory theater. Costa Mesa is also the capitol of the action sports industry and the headquarters for companies such as Hurley International, Volcom, RVCA, Rip Curl, and Vans. Costa Mesa encompasses 16 square miles and has a population of about 110,000. Since its incorporation in 1953, Costa Mesa has evolved from a semi-rural farming community of 15,000 to a city with robust local economy that generates tax revenues of about $100 million annually. A general law city, Costa Mesa has a council-manager form of government and staff of approximately 450 full-time employees. Costa Mesa residents enjoy a mild Southern California climate. The City's location provides easy access to many of Southern California's major attractions, including beaches, mountain areas, high and low deserts, Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Palm Springs and Los Angeles.
For more information about the Costa Mesa Police Department
, click here
. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
This recruitment is being conducted on a continuous basis in order to meet the needs of the City as vacancies occur. The next application review date is December 2, 2019. Applications received by that date will be included in the Cycle 2019-6 testing process. Tentative Testing Dates for Cycle 2019-6:
- Written Exam: December 17, 2019
- Physical Agility Test (PAT) & Oral Interviews: January 11, 2020
- A separate and/or second interview date may be held depending on the number of candidates
- All applicants will receive an email notification informing them of their status by December 6, 2019
Applications must be completed and submitted online. Candidates are requested to provide specific information on their education and experience as it relates to the position by completing all fields of the application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. Do not include attachments other than what is listed under "Required Documentation"
, as they will not be accepted or reviewed in the application process. Based upon the information presented on the application, a limited number of candidates who possess qualifications most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process.
NOTE: The City only sends candidate notifications by email. Please make sure your email address is updated before applying for this recruitment. Please check your email inbox periodically during the application process. AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFIERS:
Candidates who pass the application screening phase will be selected to continue in the testing process. Candidates must pass the following tests to be placed on the formal eligibility list. Eligibility lists are valid for one year from the date they are established unless it is exhausted sooner or extended for an additional period of time:
- Please click here for a list of automatic background disqualifiers. If any of the automatic disqualifiers pertain to you, it is recommended that you do not submit an application for this position as you will be automatically disqualified from the selection process.
Final Phases of the Selection Process:
- P.O.S.T. Written Examination (PELLETB) with a Total T-Score of 45 or higher (Pass/Fail)
- Physical Agility Test (PAT) (Pass/Fail)
- Oral Interview Evaluations (100%)
Compressed Testing Option:
- Upon being placed on the eligibility list, appointment(s) will be made after successfully passing each of the following components: polygraph examination, a comprehensive background investigation, interview with the Chief of Police, and the post-offer pre-appointment psychological evaluation and medical examination. All employment offers made by the City are contingent upon establishing proof of a prospective candidate's legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Please note: candidates that are active duty military, currently attending a police academy as an independent, require an approved accommodation, or can show proof of residency over 250 miles from the City of Costa Mesa, may be eligible for the compressed testing option subject to approval and availability. Testing will include the following components in a condensed version: POST written examination, physical agility test, oral interview, and a pre-background interview. Instructions for requesting compressed testing will be provided to candidates who pass the application screening phase.
- Copy of a current (non-expired) CA P.O.S.T. Reserve Academy Level I Certificate or a CA P.O.S.T. Basic Police Academy Certificate.
- Candidates who have successfully passed the P.O.S.T. Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) exam with another agency within the last 12 months may submit verification on agency letterhead indicating a Total T-Score of 45 or higher in order to be waived from the written examination. Please note that P.O.S.T. does not allow individuals to retake the test within 30 days of their last test with any agency.
Documents may be attached to online application, can be faxed to Human Resources at (714) 754-4943, or
mailed to City of Costa Mesa: Human Resources, PO Box 1200, Costa Mesa, CA 92628-1200.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please call the Police Recruitment Hotline at (714) 754-4955.
*Please notify the Human Resources Division 72 hours in advance of a scheduled test date if you have a disability which requires accommodation for the testing process.
NOTE: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained within may be modified or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please contact Human Resources for a summary of the physical tasks and environmental factors for these classifications. Employee accommodations for physical or mental disabilities will be considered on a case-by-case basis.