Description San Mateo County Health's, Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Division(BHRS)
,has anexciting opportunity for an experienced psychiatric nurse to work in behavioral health as a member of an interdisciplinary team, in a community-based system of care for clients with serious mental illness and co-occurring disorders. This current 0.80 FTE vacancy is in Total Wellness, an integrated behavioral health and primary care program.
Behavioral Health and Recovery Services needsa dynamicNurse Care Manager - Community Mental Health Nurse
to act as the primary health liaison in an integrated behavioral health and primary care program, Total Wellness. Total Wellness
aims to reduce disparities in access to health care for people with mental illness and alcohol and drug addictions, as well as improve their physical health outcomes through chronic disease prevention, early intervention, health care coordination, and disease management strategies. The Nurse Care Manager
will work with a multidisciplinary team of medical and behavioral health professionals, community workers, and others to improve health outcomes of BHRS consumers. General supervision of theNurse Care Manager
will be provided by the Total Wellness Supervising Mental Health Clinician.
- A Master's degree in Psychiatric Nursing.
- Skills in engaging, establishing, and maintaining productive working relationships with families and consumers.
- Knowledge of current psychiatric nursing practices, including psycho-pharmacology and the medical issues associated with serious mental illness.
- Knowledge of the behavioral health needs of adults with serious mental illness and co-occurring disorders.
- Knowledge of the principles of psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery.
- Experience in providing individual and group skill-based psychoeducation.
- Experience working in an outpatient community mental health setting.
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team as a direct service provider.
- Bilingual Spanish skills preferred.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Theprimary liaison between the Primary Care Providers and the BHRS clinic and contract staff who are providing services for the enrolled client.
- Communicate formally and informally about client needs and progress.
- Participate as indicated in staff meetings and case conferences about enrolled clients.
- Provide appropriate documentation in client's BHRS medical record for purposes of communication and claiming.
- Wherever possible and appropriate, establish relationships with enrolled clients as lead health coach/clinician.
- Perform initial baseline assessments and progress report interviewsfor enrolled clients.
- Take lead role in encounter data collection, analysis, and reporting out.
- Design and implement client education programs, including medication education, weight management, smoking cessation, nutrition, sleep management, and diabetes care.
- Support other staff in implementing client education programs listed above
- Help establish and monitor client's wellness plans through assessment, development, activation, and evaluation.
- Work with clients on an individual or group basis on integrating health and wellness plans into their lifestyles.
- Work with clients to adhere toappointment schedules, screening protocols, and treatment regimens.
- Be available to screen or triage ongoing client requests for services by primary care providers.
- Provide consultation and direction toPeer Wellness Coaches.
Other duties may include: Provide psychiatric assessment, clinical care management services, medication therapy, and individual, group and family counseling; perform initial intake assessments; develop appropriate treatment plans;establish and utilize knowledge of community resources; participate in individual client and program conferences, staff development, and professional growth activities; provide crisis intervention services; conduct home visits; provide psychoeducation to clients and families; provide recovery based services.NOTE:
The eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.
California license as a Registered Nurse. Education:
Bachelor's degree in Nursing. Experience:
One year of nursing experience in outpatient community mental health setting. Knowledge of:
- Current psychiatric nursing practices including psychopharmacology and the medical issues associates with serious mental illness and related medical theory.
- Behavioral health needs of adults with serious mental illness and co-occurring disorders.
- Principles of psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery.
- Principles of hygiene, nutrition, parenting and related health practices.
- Social and physical aspects of mental and emotional disturbances.
- Basic techniques and dynamics of individual and group therapy.
- Community resources available for treatment of clients.
- Current nursing and related medical therapy.
- Laws that govern psychiatric mental health nursing and the treatment of the mentally ill.
- Principles of psychiatric rehabilitation.
- Provide individual and group skill-based psychoeducation.
- Work in an outpatient community mental health setting and within a multidisciplinary team as a direct service provider.
- Engage, establish and maintain productive working relationships with families and consumers.
- Apply the techniques used in individual and group therapy.
- Develop and evaluate creative approaches to the assessment, treatment and rehabilitation for individuals with severe emotional problems and serious mental illness.
- Obtain and record social, physical, educational and work histories.
- Write clear, accurate and concise reports.
- Conduct group and individual counseling.
- Establish and maintain the confidence and cooperation of clients.
- Speak effectively before groups.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply.
Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions.Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview(weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~DEADLINE TO APPLY: CONTINUOUSAPPLICATION SCREENING: TBDPANEL/DEPARTMENT INTERVIEW: TBDAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Carolyn Burns (102618) (Community Mental Health Nurse - F049)
Keywords: SMMC, BHRS, health services, nurse, manager, mental health, psychiatric, wellness, primary care