311 Vernon Street Roseville, 95678 Description FINAL FILING DATE:
We are accepting applications on a continuous basis. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.THE POSITION
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Child Care Program Assistant in the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department to perform a variety of duties related to assisting with planning, coordinating and supervising Child Care and/or preschool programs. The normal work schedule will be weekdays between the hours of 6:15 am and 6:15 pm, Monday through Friday. While the current vacancy is for a 1,000 hour position, this recruitment may be used to fill 1,500 hour positions in the future. This position is for year-round employment.DEFINITION
To perform a variety of duties related to assisting with planning, coordinating and supervising Child Care and/or preschool programs.EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge of:
- Assist with planning and directing a variety of program areas which may include child care, preschool or after-school programs.
- Aid in training of seasonal employees and volunteers.
- Prepare reports, schedules, and other administrative material.
- Stimulate interest while teaching and supervising activities such as sports, games, special events, arts and crafts, drama and social activities.
- Maintain positive student relations and follow disciplinary procedures.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and orderly classroom environment.
- Notify appropriate staff of any problems with regard to site maintenance, children or parents, and make recommendations as necessary.
- Promote and enforce safety procedures; render first aid and CPR, if certified, as required.
- Help to maintain records and reports as required; track and complete subsidized child care paperwork.
- Mentor and direct staff in all aspects of classroom management, curriculum and team building.
- Coordinate supply needs.
- Assume the role of Assistant Day Care Site Coordinator as required.
- Open and close the site in the absence of the Day Care Site Coordinator and the Assistant Day Care Site Coordinator.
- Coordinate distribution and assignment of department uniforms and equipment.
- Monitor and adhere to the program budget.
- Supervise assigned temporary staff; schedule, train and monitor staff relative to assigned duties; review timekeeping system of assigned staff for accuracy.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of modern methods, techniques, principles and procedures used in the planning and supervision of child care and/or preschool programs and facilities.
- Elementary aged child with regard to interest, skills, special needs, recreational activities, and program planning of such activities, i.e., sports, organized games, special events, arts and crafts and drama.
- Practices and methods of public relations and customer service; techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
- Basic methodology of organizing groups, programs, and services in a recreational setting.
- Principles and techniques of first aid and CPR.
- Modern office equipment, methods, procedures, and computer hardware and software.
Experience and TrainingExperience:
- On a continuous basis, know and understand operations and observe safety rules; supervise children; stand for long periods of time; interpret, understand and follow policies and procedures, and explain operations and problem solve issues for the public and with staff.
- Intermittently set up booths, hang banners, move tables, chairs and carry supplies; participate with children on field trips, perform exercises with children; lift or carry weight of 45 pounds or less.
- Lead activities, applying knowledge to an actual day care program and the children therein.
- Supervise children on playground.
- Establish positive and professional relationships with children, co-workers and parents.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Understand and translate City policies and practices into everyday working practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
- Respond to emergency situations in a calm and effective manner; administer first aid and CPR, if certified.
- Operate a computer as necessary to perform job duties.
- Identify problems regarding the facility and programs; refer difficult problems/irregularities for more advanced attention and recommend possible solutions.
- Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Communicate tactfully with customers.
- Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Minimum of two (2) years of work experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program, under the supervision of a person who would qualify as a teacher or director.
- Two (2) seasons of paid experience in administering and coordinating recreation programs or a related field.
License or Certificate
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, GED, or higher level degree supplemented by completion of twelve (12) units in early childhood education, recreation, physical education, elementary education or related field.
- Possession of a valid California driver's license by date of appointment.
- Possession of CPR and First Aid certificates within six (6) months of hire.
1. Have you completed twelve (12) college units in early childhood education, recreation, physical education or elementary education?
2. Are you a current CalPERS member? A current CalPERS member is someone who has funds on deposit with CalPERS.SELECTION PROCESS
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
Job Announcement URL: http://www.roseville.ca.us/jobsRecruitment Contact
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org