This is Non-Perm, Part-Time position
This is a great part-time job opportunity in the Community Services Department working at the Huntington Beach Art Center. The ideal candidate must possess the skills and abilities to prepare galleries for exhibitions and fabricate display equipment in constructing gallery/display areas for the exhibition of art.
Note: This recruitment may close at any time, and will close as son as the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 to June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS retired annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Design, construct, install and dismantle and prepare equipment and gallery areas, including resurfacing walls, for the exhibition of contemporary art in a variety of media and scale.
- Builds display areas and installs art work with consideration for aesthetics and safety.
- Creates movable walls and display cases. Develops lighting for exhibitions.
- Prepares installation graphics, labels, text and signs.
- Collaborates with artists and staff on exhibition design of display areas.
- Maintains and operates audio visual and program equipment and tools.
- Transports artwork to and from the Art Center.
- Works as a member of the Art Center team.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
principals and practices of gallery design and art display; methods, materials, tools and equipment used in display fabrication; safe working practices.Ability to:
conceptualize, design, create and install lighting and artwork in virtually any media and/or scale; read and interpret diagrams, specifications and plans; follow written instructions; work according to prescribed safety and industry standards; operate tools and equipment; carry and climb 30 foot ladder; communicate effectively with work crews, staff and the public.Education/Experience:
Two years of related experience preferred, plus related education and/or training. Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Art is preferred.License:
A California Class C Driver license with an acceptable driving record. APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program; due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.