The Town of Los Gatos is seeking to fill an immediate vacancy for a Part-Time Equipment/Auto Technician (temporary/hourly)
position in the Parks and Public Works Department to assist the current lead technician.
The individual must have experience with preventative maintenance and dealing with automotive, truck and equipment servicing. This entry level position is ideal for those enrolled in a technical school. This position will be a morning to afternoon shift (7:00am-3:30pm), though working hour changes can be considered. The primary responsibilities will be to provide preventative maintenance services, minor component repair or replacement and assist the lead technician with the removal, replacement, and repair of major components. ***This is a temporary/hourly at-will position without benefits.*** Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- Remove, replace or adjust the following without supervision: Brakes (air and hydraulic), Minor electrical repairs, Cab components and accessories, Minor trailer maintenance, wheel seals etc
- Perform all aspects of preventive maintenance on vehicles as trained
- Perform other mechanical repairs and replacements as directed by Supervisor as part of overall training
- All customer service duties as necessary
- Maintain work area appearance and safety, Ensure the proper maintenance, repair and storage of all shop tools and equipment; locates and orders non-stock parts.
- Use shop tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery.
- Adjust brakes, align wheels, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment.
- Raise trucks, cars, and heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists
- Installs specialized safety equipment in police vehicles.
- Drive to vendors to pickup parts, tires, and other fleet maintenance tasks as assigned
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor
Supplemental informationPhysical Requirements
- 1-2 year of practical experience required
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Vocational/Technical or certification, or current enrollment, preferred
- Working knowledge in the use of hand tools required
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook required
- Willingness to work in non-climate controlled environments are required
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Town of Los Gatos employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
- The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The associate will be required to remember and understand certain instructions, guidelines or other information. The associate must be able to see and verbally communicate. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate will be required to move frequently, stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50lbs/23kg and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100lbs/45kg.
Online applications are preferred. If you are unable to apply online, paper applications may be submitted to: Town of Los Gatos PPW, 41 Miles Avenue, Los Gatos, CA 95030. Screening Process:
As a first step of the screening process, information submitted by the applicant will be reviewed and evaluated for the position. On the basis of the application review, only those applicants with the best combination of qualifications and experience for the position will be invited to participate in additional screening. Additional screening may include interviews, written tests, and skills demonstrations. Prior to hire, applicants must have clearance for a medical exam and fingerprints from the Department of Justice.
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The Town of Los Gatos is an Equal Opportunity and does not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, medical, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by law. Qualified individuals with a disability will receive reasonable accommodation, as required by the California Family Rights Act ( CFRA ), and federal laws including the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504, during any phase of the selection process, providing such request is made to Human Resources at least five working days in advance. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation. Under federal law, all job applicants must prove authorization to work in the United States at the time of job offer.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous