OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
FIRST DAY OF FILING:
FEBRUARY 28, 2019 @8:00 AM, PSTUNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICES ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSURE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICEDEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest health system in the nation, providing compassionate, quality care through its integrated system of hospitals and community-based clinics. DHS annually cares for about 600,000 unique patients, employs over 22,000 staff and has an annual operating budget of $4.3 billion. DHS leads the County's effort to provide health services to the residents of Los Angeles County, of which approximately two million are uninsured. DHS hospitals also conduct post-graduate medical education through university affiliations for interns, residents and fellows to train the physician workforce for tomorrow.MISSION
Our mission is to ensure access to high-quality, patient-centered, cost-effective health care to Los Angeles County residents through direct services at DHS facilities and through collaboration with community and university partners.DEFINITION
The Administrative Services Division Manager (Director, Business Development) is responsible for directing the Business Development Division for the Department of Health Services (DHS) and providing professional administrative services that maximize resources aligned with the Department's mission of ensuring access to high quality health care for Los Angeles County residents and that build upon the Department's strengths as a provider of care to Medi-Cal and MyHealthLA patients, as well as Emergency, Trauma, and Burn patients. MANAGEMENTAPPRAISAL OFPERFORMANCE PLAN (MAPP):
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages division operations by planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, controlling, and evaluating the work of the division, and leads the effective execution of value-based strategies and business objectives for DHS hospitals and service lines.
- Develops and implements strategies and initiatives to accomplish short- and long-range planning objectives; directs the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, programs, policies, systems and procedures; establishes performance metrics and provides objective data and complex healthcare financial, volume and market analysis that enables management to make informed decisions and act on opportunities to achieve strategic value.
- Advises and consults with management on issues which have a significant, department-wide impact, such as the acquisition and use of major resources for departmental programs and operations, and develops and recommends plans to help departmental management meet changing priorities.
- Ensures compliance of departmental programs and processes with local, state and federal regulations, and other applicable requirements; analyzes, or directs the analysis of, proposed legislation, laws, regulations, and other provisions to assess the impact on departmental operations; interprets laws, regulations and legal provisions for departmental management; and evaluates and directs changes to department-wide policies, procedures and practices.
- Supports successful contract negotiation, implementation and management to protect managed care revenue and ensure DHS empaneled members have access to cost- effective services.
- Assesses and develops revenue contracting opportunities based on financial impact and alignment with DHS system goals and capacity, and ensures proper operationalization of executed contracts.
- Analyzes local and national healthcare industry trends and market growth opportunities including expansion of DHS Services, new DHS services and extended DHS service areas.
- Promotes County health care services across the service area.
- Formulates and develops budget recommendations for the division, including preparation and monitoring of budget proposals for service and program operations, as well as staff resources and allocation.
- Represents the department to the Board of Supervisors and to current potential contractors on issues related to the contracting process, including appeals; meets and confers with contractors to ensure compliance with contract requirements and to obtain certification where appropriate concerning compliance Affirmative Action regulations, minimum wage requirements, performance bonds and insurance certificates.
- Prepares and/or directs, the preparation of, and reviews, a variety of highly sensitive and/or confidential documents such as sole source solicitations, request to increase contract maximum amounts, and correspondence to obtain approval for services acquisitions.
: Five (5) years' experience managing through subordinate supervisors, a section of administrative professionals primarily at the level of a journey level analyst* or higher.Option II
: Five (5) years' experience directly supervising a unit of administrative professionals primarily at the level of a senior analyst** or higher, within one or more of the administrative fields: human resources, budget, finance, contracts or other closely-related administrative fields.
***Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two years of the required experience.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Journey-level analyst work involves the independent performance of work assignments which require the use of sound professional judgment, initiative and creativity in identifying and selecting research and analytical methods and techniques to address and resolve complex, controversial, and/or sensitive problems related to administrative functions such as human resources, budget, finance, or contracts.
**Senior-level analyst work involves functioning in a lead or project management capacity with responsibility for providing guidance and direction to staff on the most specialized, complex, and difficult analytical assignments which impact major departmental programs and administrative operations, or in central agency departments, where they are responsible for providing consultation and guidance to management in County line departments on highly complex issues and problems associated with their area of expertise.
***In order to receive credit for any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's degree or higher youMUST
include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institutionwhich shows the area of specialization
with your application,at the time of filing.
If you are unable to attach any documents during application submission, you may email the documents toAniShaboyanat AShaboyan @dhs.lacounty.gov within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing your application online.
Please include your name, the exam title and exam number in the email message.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in Business Administration, Public Policy, Health Administration or related field.
- Experience with federal and California Healthcare financial reimbursement models, such as the Medi-cal and the Medicaid 1115 waiver programs
- Experience in healthcare business development or healthcare financing.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS:
Positions within this class require light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist ofan evaluation of experience based upon application information and desirable qualification, weighted 100%.APPLICANTS MUST RECEIVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON THE EXAMINATION IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE REGISTER
. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an"as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS. SPECIAL INFORMATION
Appointees may be required to workany shift
including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s).If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. HARD COPY/PAPER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day offilingwillnot be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet theMINIMUMREQUIREMENTS.
Fill in your application completely and correctly to receive full credit for relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluateyour qualifications for the position.Please do not group your experience.
For each position held. Give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, number of persons supervised, (if applicable), and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will berejected
.All correspondence to applicants will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please addAShaboyan @dhs.lacounty.gov and
email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. FINAL EXAM RESULT NOTICES WILL BE MAILED VIA THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. It is important that applicants provide a complete and valid mailing address. Examination results cannot be given over the phone
. IMPORTANT NOTES :
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
- ALLinformation supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATION.
- We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATIONof any information may result inDISQUALIFICATIONorRECISSIONOFAPPOINTMENT.
- UtilizingVERBIAGEfrom Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of dutiesWILL NOTbe sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as"SEE RESUME"or"SEE APPLICATION"will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will beREJECTED.
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Ani Shaboyan, Exam Analyst
(323) 869-0942 (Fax)