Salary: $72,099-$95,531 DOE
GILA COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
1400 E. ASH STREET, GLOBE, AZ 85501
POSTED: SEPTEMBER 6, 2017 REVISED: JULY 19, 2018 OPEN UNTIL FILLED
PURPOSE OF THE JOB The purpose of this position is to promote the health and wellbeing of inmates and to provide appropriate medical care. This position supervises and manages the department, provides patient care and responds to emergencies, and provides health and wellness education to inmates and staff. The role provides staff training and acts as a liaison between medical and detention staff. The position also maintains the supplies inventory.
Regularly assigns work to other employees and supervises related activities. Makes final decisions on scheduling work hours of employees; evaluating performance of employees; handling employee grievances; employee training and granting time off. Provides recommendations on employee promotions; salary increases; disciplinary actions; employee coaching; managing assistants and managing supervisors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervises and manages medical department, including nursing and medical staff. 50%
• Provides direct patient care for routine medical concerns, prescribes medications and performs medical procedures. 10%
• Reviews inmates' medical histories and prescriptions. 10%
• Responds to medical emergencies and provides lifesaving skills to injured/sick patients. Promotes inmate health and wellness; educates inmates and staff about medical concerns. 10%
• Provides training, including basic first aid and CPR, for medical, nursing and detention staff. Acts as liaison between medical staff and detention officers. 10%
• Maintains inventory of supplies and medications. 10%
• Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no responsibility over any types of budget.
Provides project research support on organizational development and HR projects.
ORAL COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position trains colleagues, explains County procedures or processes, responds to public inquiries, moderates and participates in meetings and negotiates or persuades.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position creates or edits documents, internal memos, emails, formal letters and reports.
INTERACTIONS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Interacts extensively with employees, customers, the general public, vendors, regulatory bodies, and other groups and/or individuals and Institutions over the telephone, by email, and/or in person.
INTERACTIONS SPECIFICALLY WITH CUSTOMERS
Consistently (More than 40% but less that 55% in a year)
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathy, Nurse Practitioner, or Physician's Assistant.
MINIMUM YEARS OF DIRECTLY RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Ten (10) years of medical administrative experience; County detention facilities experience preferred.
Detention Medical Director
17-098 PLEASE USE CIVILIAN/VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS REQUIRED
Arizona State Medical License, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Certification.
Practice and principles of medical service administration, human resources management, pharmacology, emergency management procedures, first aid, and CPR.
Exceptional research and writing skills, organizational and reporting skills, active learning, active listening, critical thinking, analyzing training needs, problem recognition, problem solving, time management and multi-tasking.
Multi-task, perform tasks with finger dexterity, maintain mental response and quickness, maintain calm demeanor in stressful situations and read and write at professional level.
• Regularly stands to attend to reported incidents.
• Routinely sits to complete report and to operate computers.
• May be required to lift work related materials or equipment of more than 75 lbs.
• Constantly requires dexterity for keyboard operation.
• Constantly requires dexterity for special medical gadgets and for special medical machines.
• Incumbents in this position may be required to occasionally walk to and from work sites; bend and stoop to complete tasks.
Incumbents in this position constantly spends time in medical examination room and in a medical office environment for reporting and data entry. Travel is necessary due to the large geographic area of service. Incumbents may be required to visit jail facilities.
SAFETY RISK EXPOSURE
Incumbents in this position may become exposed to physical danger, chemical hazards, bloodborne pathogens, communicable diseases, hostile patients, verbal abuse and emotional individuals.
PROTECTIVE GEAR & SAFETY MANUALS
Incumbents in this position are required to constantly follow written safety procedures and manuals relevant to the division or department.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR
Potential errors can result in property damage, individual injury, or loss of life.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO FURNISH, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, DOCUMENTARY PROOF OF EDUCATIONS, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, LICENSE OR ANY OTHER PROOF OF COMPETENCY AS REQUIRED IN THE OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION OR ANNOUNCEMENT AND MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND/OR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONTINUING CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FURTHER, APPLICANTS FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING OPERATION OF A COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS MUST POSSESS AND MAINTAIN COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE OPERATORS LICENSE. GILA COUNTY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISIONS OF SERVICE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.