The PositionThere is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a continuous filing exam. This is a continuous filing exam with bi-annual cut-offs on the third Thursday of June and December. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:12/21/2018, 6/20/2019, 12/19/2019, 6/17/2020Salary Information:
Level I: $9,234.18 Monthly
Level II: $10,622.67 Monthly
Level III: $9,611.75 to $11,684.08 Monthly
Level IV Range A: $10,701.00 - $13,659.00 Monthly
Level IV Range B: $11,694.50 - $14,923.98 MonthlyNOTE:
Please apply only after you have been issued a California State Bar number. If you are awaiting results of the Bar exam, or have a pending issuance of a State Bar number, please wait until after your number is issued to apply. If you submit an application without having a California State Bar number, you may be disqualified from the exam process.
Under direction, performs legal work in the County Counsel's Office by advising County departments, special districts, and other outside agencies; represents the County on litigation and business matters; and does other related duties.
The duties of an Attorney - Civil range from the less difficult assignments requiring only a beginning level of expertise and little or no experience, to the handling of the most difficult and complex litigation matters requiring experience and highly advanced degree of legal knowledge and skill.
The class of Attorney - Civil encompasses four salary range levels. These salary range levels are assigned at the department head's discretion in accordance with budget provisions, workload, organization, and the individual attorney's expertise and skill, subject to the following basic experience requirements:Level I
: This salary range is assigned attorneys who have had no previous legal experience. Attorneys at this level are generally assigned a variety of less difficult assignments under close supervision. This is the entry or trainee level for civil attorneys.Level II
: This salary range is assigned attorneys with at least one year in the practice of law. Attorneys at this level are assigned to work in all phases of civil law of average difficulty under general supervision. Attorneys at this level are considered full journeymen.Level III
: This salary range is assigned attorneys with at least one year of service as an Attorney-Civil Level II in Sacramento County service, or three years of experience in the practice of law. Attorneys at this level are given difficult and complex civil law assignments under a minimum of direction. Attorneys at this level are considered advanced journeymen.Level IV
: This salary range is assigned attorneys with at least four years of experience in the practice of civil law within the State of California, at least three years of which must have been in a County Counsel's Office, a civil division of a district attorney's office, a city attorney's office, or a legal office of a school district, fire district, municipal utility district, or other local public agency in California. Attorneys at this level are given difficult and complex civil law assignments under a minimum of direction. Attorneys at this level are considered advanced journeymen. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
Incumbents in the Attorney - Civil class must have knowledges and abilities consistent with the highest standards of the legal profession and with the goal of assuming the responsibility, and developing the skills, of an experienced civil attorney.Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications:
Membership in the California State Bar.Document required with the application
: Your California State Bar license number and date of issue MUST be documented on your application.Note
: Failure to provide the required documentation on the application will result in your disqualification.Probationary Period:
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous