The PositionThe final filing date for this exam has been revised. Please note the new final filing date is: 5:00 pm on: 10/4/19
Associate Real Property Appraisers perform a wide variety of responsible and complicated assessment and appraisal duties to determine the fair value of, and assess taxes on, improved and unimproved properties. Real properties include, but are not limited to agricultural, marine, residential, commercial, industrial, multi-use, unique and specialized properties and open space lands.Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Department's purpose, products and services
- Current and automated methods, principles, terminology and techniques used to appraise residential, commercial, special purpose, multi-use and transitional properties
- Building construction including different varieties, materials, quality, quantity and costs
- Laws, regulations, and court decisions affecting tax appraisals and assessments
- State of California property tax laws and related local ordinances and regulations
- Factors involved in the valuation of productive and nonproductive land
- Effects of economic trends on market prices, construction and replacement costs and values
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Review, interpret, apply and explain complex rules, regulations, codes, laws and ordinances related to property valuation appraisal and tax assessment techniques
- Locate, research, interpret, and apply a variety of source records and information related to property valuation appraisal and tax assessment purposes
- Understand and use property maps, title documents, property descriptions and related documents, floor plans from blueprints, metes-and-boundaries from legal descriptions, mapping symbols and plotting lines
- Apply the principles and techniques of physical inspection and appraisals for real and personal property
- Collect, evaluate and summarize factors relating to appraisals, business property acquisitions, exemptions and appeals
- Read English at a level necessary to examine, interpret, and apply legal, technical, and complex guidelines, documents, records and reports
- Speak English at a level necessary to communicate clearly and effectively
- Write English at a level necessary to produce concise, accurate and impartial reports, narratives, summaries and recommendations
- Understand expectations, needs and wants of internal/external customers
- Meet the needs of customers within the scope of the class or provide referrals to other available resources that will meet needs
- Perform and interpret complex arithmetic calculations, compute ratios and percentages, calculate square footage of property and land improvements
- Work cooperatively with others and build and maintain constructive relationships with those encountered during course of work including responding effectively and tactfully to hostility, confusion or concerns expressed by others
- Work independently, prioritize work, coordinate activities and meet critical deadlines
- Organize, process and evaluate data and ideas to make effective decisions and develop appropriate solutions
- Use sound judgement and personal initiative to accomplish assignments
- Contribute to the group with ideas, suggestions and efforts
- One year of experience performing the full scope of the duties of a Real Property Appraiser (Level II) within Sacramento County service.
- Graduation from a recognized accredited four-year college or university.
Two years of experience, within the last ten years, performing comprehensive property appraisal responsibilities for acquisition, loan, or tax purposes.
Additional qualifying experience (as described above) gained within the last ten years may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis up to a maximum of four years.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Incumbents must acquire permanent certification as an appraiser by the California State Board of Equalization within one year
from the date of appointment. Failure to maintain the appropriate valid certification constitutes cause for disciplinary action up to and including termination from the class in accordance with the County's Civil Service Rules, Section 11.4 (q).
Incumbents must possess a valid California Driver's License - Class C or higher before the date of appointment. Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License constitutes cause for disciplinary action up to and including termination from the class in accordance with the County's Civil Service Rules, Section 11.4 (q). Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Incumbents may be required to stoop, kneel, and inspect buildings and other structures; climb fences, stairs, and ladders; walk in rough terrain and muddy fields; distinguish measurements as small as 1/20th of an inch.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 10/4/2019 12:00 AM Pacific