Become a Building Plans Examiner with the County of Sonoma!
Starting salary up to $44.93/hour ($91,687/year) and a cash allowance of $600/month.*
Permit Sonoma is currently recruiting to fill Building Plan Examiner positions at either the I, II, and/or Senior levels. If you are interested in applying at either/all levels, you must submit a separate application to the recruitments being conducted for those levels.
When you join Permit Sonoma you become part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, where you will gain the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better your community. You can also look forward to excellent benefits* including:
• An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
• Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
• County paid premium contribution to several health plan options
• County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
• May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
• Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
• Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
Building Plans Examiner’s check construction documents for compliance with building codes, ordinances, and regulations. Typical compliance checks include fire safe and state accessibility standards as well as the review of geotechnical and soils reports for compliance with state building standards. Building Plans Examiners also review and maintain forms, files, and other necessary records; enter and retrieve data from electronic data processing systems; and work with the public to receive incoming applications, answer general code questions, calculate fees, and explain procedures. The ideal candidate will possess:
• Knowledge of structural engineering techniques, building codes, plans, and the preparation of plans
• Exceptional customer service skills, with the ability to timely and professionally prioritize customer needs
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain constructive working relationships
• The aptitude for effectively managing work priorities and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• An International Code Council (ICC) Building Plans Examiner certification
When you join the County of Sonoma, you'll have the freedom to explore the beauty of our county, its picturesque coastline, majestic redwoods, historic towns, fine dining, award winning wineries, and a wide variety of entertainment and cultural activities. For additional information about our community and the services we provide, please visit sonomacountyconnections.org and the Permit Sonoma website.
*Salary is negotiable and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more information & to apply online, visit www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. EOE Apply by 10/2/18