TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY EXAM NUMBER
Y5098C APPLICATION FILING PERIOD
09/06/2018 AT 8:00 A.M. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.WDAC TRAINING PROGRAM:
The Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services (WDAC) training program supports the Board of Supervisor's recently enacted Local and Target Worker Hire Policy. This policy places local residents served into an accredited Nursing Attendant training program and provides educational support throughout the training from program admittance to State certification.
The trainees who complete the Nursing Attendant program and obtain State certification as a Nursing Assistant with the California Department of Public Health will be used to fill Nursing Attendant I vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. DEFINITION:
Provides basic nursing services to both child and adult inpatients or to children of preschool age in the custody of County day care nurseries.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Basic nursing care of adults, children and adolescents in an inpatient setting: Nursing Attendants I in this assignment are assigned to wards housing at least some patients who are chronically ill but who are stable and require some bedside care and the observation and reporting of behavior and manifest signs of their physical condition. Patients who are acutely ill or unstable or who require extensive or specialized treatment are assigned to other nursing personnel for care. Positions in this class may also move patients from one hospital area or ward to another and assist in moving patients from beds to stretchers. Nursing Attendants I are responsible for performing specific nursing care tasks defined for them in a nursing plan. The plan for such care is specified in detail for each patient by a registered nurse or physician and methods for providing this care are prescribed. Within this context positions in the class are responsible for maintaining a planned environment that is physically and emotionally conducive to patient comfort and safety. To do this, the worker furnishes personal services such as assisting patients in grooming, hygiene and feeding; gives reassurance and other emotional support to the patients; accompanies or transports patients to clinic, therapy, recreation and other off-the-ward activities; and monitors patients' condition and taking vital signs and observing and reporting patient symptoms and behavior. Because many patients require help in meeting their needs, much of the work of many positions in this class involves long periods of standing and walking and some stooping lifting.
Essential Job Functions
- Monitors condition of patient at bedside who require close and constant observation and care due to altered mental status, extreme risk of falls, or accidental injury.
- Provides observation for patients that may require protective supervision and interventions during specified periods of time to ensure patient safety.
- Contributes to patient comfort, well-being and satisfaction by responding to personal requests, making adjustments in position, assisting with toileting programs, setting patient limits, providing hydration and dietary items, filling water containers, linen changes.
- Assists patients with the traditional activities of daily living, such as eating, brushing teeth, dressing and undressing, and eliminating.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse and respiration of patients, and reports adverse vital signs or observed abnormal stress, discomfort or concerning behaviors/psychiatric interventions.
- Assists providers, nurses, and physicians in providing basic nursing care or treatments.
- Turns and positions patients and places supports to prevent pressure sores; Positions and holds patients for examination or treatment.
- Assures a safe and sanitary environment for the patient by cleaning up minor spills in kitchen and dining areas, by making beds, cribs and bassinets, and by maintaining ward, sleeping quarters and recreational areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Maintains and improves functional status of patients' ability to perform activities of daily living required to meet basic needs, and maintain health and well-being.
- Communicates with patients, visitors, and staff to maintain a safe environment for patients.
- Performs support tasks such as replenishing unit supplies, answers phone calls, etc.
- Transports patients on beds or stretchers between patient care areas and diagnostic test areas for examination and treatment as needed.
- Provides rehab activities, engage in patient activities, redirect/reorient patient based on diagnosis as needed.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
1. A certificate of Completion from the Department of Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services' (formerly known as Community and Senior Services) Los Angeles County's America's Job Centers of California Nursing Attendant Training Program.-AND-
2. Certification as a Nursing Assistant by the State of California.*
Please note that applicants who passed the Skills and Written portions of the State exam but do not currently appear on the California Nurse Assistant Registry and have not received their certification number will be WITHHELD from the eligible register until a copy of the Nursing Assistant Certification from the California Department of Public Health is submitted. To be placed on the withhold list, you must provide an official letter with your Official Score Report from the Nursing Assistant program or National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) verifying passing of both the Skills and Written portions of the State Competency Examination**.-AND-
3. Certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program. ***PHYSICAL CLASS: IV- Arduous
: Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS:
*To compete in this examination process, applicants must have current certification as a Nursing Assistant by the State of California. The required certification must be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary, or restricted certification will not be accepted.
**Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of theirofficial letter from the Nursing Assistant program or National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) verifying passing of both the Skills and Written portions of the State Competency Examination. If you are unable to attach required document, you must e-mail the documents to Christina Roy at CRoy@dhs.lacounty.gov, within 15 calendar days of filing online.Please include the exam number and the exam title.
***Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of theircurrent Certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program to their application.If you are unable to attach required document, you must e-mail the documents to Christina Roy at CRoy@dhs.lacounty.gov, within 15 calendar days of filing online.Please include the exam number and the exam title.IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that all information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in disqualification.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of a structured interview weighted 100% which will evaluate job preparationand knowledge of position, interpersonal and oral communication, problem solving and decision making, and work skills. Candidates mustachieve a passing score of 70% or higherin order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be placedon the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once everytwelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFTS:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION FILING INFORMATION: APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Christina Roy, Exam Analyst