Salary: $34,227-$47,062 DOE
GILA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
1400 E. ASH STREET, GLOBE, AZ 85501
PURPOSE OF THE JOB The purpose of this position is to respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for law enforcement, fire, and emergency services in compliance with county procedures to assure the safety of law enforcement officers, emergency services personnel, and the public.
This position does not supervise other employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Answers incoming emergency and non-emergency calls; interviews callers and gathers details; prioritizes calls for service and determines appropriate personnel to respond; dispatches emergency responders; relays pertinent information to law enforcement and emergency services personnel in a concise, organized and understandable manner.
• Enters and validates stolen vehicles and property; validates license plates and identities of missing and wanted persons. 20%
• Enters calls for service in Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) System. 20%
• Monitors and maintains status of patrol units and coordinates ambulances and helicopters. 10%
• Operates emergency radio for Police, Fire, EMS, Probation, and other emergency responders contacts, Border Patrol Response Rescue Team, Forest Service Search and Rescue, and the Public Works Department when necessary.
• Runs confidential criminal histories; booking pawn and prisoner information for officers and detectives; enters warrant entry and orders of protection. 10%
• Coordinates mutual aid as required; updates agencies that provide emergency response assistance. 10%
• Performs other duties as assigned
This position has no responsibility over any types of budget.
This position does not have PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES.
ORAL COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position trains colleagues; explains County procedures; responds to public inquiries; participates in meetings; and negotiates or persuades. Incumbents in this position may be required to speak with the media, occasionally.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position creates or edits documents, procedures, emails, press releases, and reports.
INTERACTIONS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Interacts extensively with employees, customers, the general public, vendors, regulatory bodies, and other groups and/or individuals and Institutions over the telephone, by email, and/or in person.
INTERACTIONS SPECIFICALLY WITH CUSTOMERS
Always (More than 85% in a year)
911 RADIO DISPATCHER
OPEN CLOSING DATE: HIRING ROSTER
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
High School Diploma or GED
MINIMUM YEARS OF DIRECTLY RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Six (6) months to one (1) year public safety dispatching experience; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS REQUIRED
ACJIS TOC (terminal operator certification)
Telecommunication technology, public safety & security, law enforcement, public safety regulations, First Responders' Protocols.
Active learning, active listening, analytical thinking, negotiating, problem recognition, problem solving, multi-tasking, typing and Data Entry.
Fully and quickly comprehend spoken words, make sense of multiple data, find directions and current locations, multi-task, maintain mental response and quickness, maintain oratory ability under stressful situations.
• Constantly sits to complete report, operate computers, operate special equipment, complete a program, attend to reception areas, perform watchmen duties, and sits to attend to other duties.
• Rarely requires dexterity for peacekeeping tools, and special machines; constantly requires dexterity for keyboard operation, and dexterity for special gadgets.
• Incumbents in this position may be required to rarely intervene, walk to and from work sites, bend, stoop, crawl, kneel, and twist.
• Occasionally lifts work-related materials of up to 10 lbs. in weight.
Work is performed in high call volume emergency dispatch office environment, where there is little opportunity for physical movement. The incumbent must remain alert and responsive while observing computer display screen for uninterrupted periods of time. Incumbents may be subject to extended work periods without relief during high call volume time and during stressful situations.
SAFETY RISK EXPOSURE
Incumbents in this position are generally not exposed to safety risk. On rare occasions, incumbents in this position may become exposed to occasional telephone verbal abuse by customers or citizens, physical danger, mechanical hazards, chemical hazards, electrical hazards, bloodborne pathogen, communicable diseases, fire hazards, explosives, respiratory hazards, extreme temperature, noise and vibration, and wetness and humidity.
PROTECTIVE GEAR & SAFETY MANUALS
Incumbents in this position are required to constantly follow written safety procedures and manuals relevant to the division or department.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR
Potential errors can have legal ramifications, loss of funding, loss of organization's credibility.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO FURNISH, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, DOCUMENTARY PROOF OF EDUCATIONS, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, LICENSE OR ANY OTHER PROOF OF COMPETENCY AS REQUIRED IN THE OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION OR ANNOUNCEMENT AND MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND/OR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONTINUING CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FURTHER, APPLICANTS FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING OPERATION OF A COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS MUST POSSESS AND MAINTAIN COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE OPERATORS LICENSE. GILA COUNTY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISIONS OF SERVICE. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
Closing Date/Time: HIRING ROSTER