Salary: $29,993-$41,240 DOE
GILA COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
1400 E. ASH STREET, GLOBE, AZ 85501
POSTED: FEBRUARY 17, 2017 REVISED: JULY 19, 2018 OPEN UNTIL FILLED
PURPOSE OF THE JOB The purpose of this position is to perform semi-skilled work in the construction, repair and maintenance of roads, right-of-ways, auxiliary structures, and secondary roads; operate various types of construction equipment in accordance with safety regulations and procedures.
This position does not supervise other employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Operates road construction and maintenance equipment including front end loaders, backhoes, bulldozers, motor graders, paving machines, street sweepers and compactors, in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
• Grades roads, paves roads, replace asphalt, patches and repairs roads, clean roadways and sweeps streets. 10%
• Maintains ditches and culverts including removing debris from ditches, installing culverts and ensuring the efficient flow of culverts. 10%
• Performs manual labor assignments as needed, including fire control, accident and hazardous materials cleanup, guardrail and foliage maintenance and debris removal; cuts and removes brush and trees impacting roadways as required.
• Follows safety regulations on all work zone and flagging sites, including placing barricades and cones; performs emergency road services in relation to fires, floods and roadway inspection. 10%
• Hauls materials and transports vehicles and equipment to jobsites using various trucks and transporters. 10%
• Inspects, cleans and performs routine operational check on trucks and heavy equipment. 10%
• Performs traffic control activities including setting up signs and flagging traffic. 10%
• May perform emergency road services in relation to snow removal, flood damage repair, rockslides, and fires. 10%
• Performs other duties as assigned
This position has no responsibility over any types of budget.
This position does not have PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES.
ORAL COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position may train colleagues.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position creates or edits documents, internal memos, timesheets and reports.
INTERACTIONS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Interacts primarily internally with other employees at the same level. Minimal contact with customers or general public.
INTERACTIONS SPECIFICALLY WITH CUSTOMERS
Sometimes (More than 10% but less than 25% in a year)
Public Works Consolidated Roads
Road Maintenance/Equipment Operator
17-017 PLEASE USE CDL/DRIVER'S EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
2 POSITIONS AVAILABLE
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
High School Diploma or GED
MINIMUM YEARS OF DIRECTLY RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Three (3) years' experience in road construction and maintenance and operation of related equipment; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS REQUIRED
A valid Arizona Class B Commercial Driver's License is required. Within the first three months of employment, a valid Arizona Class A Commercial Driver's License with Tanker Endorsement must be obtained. This position is subject to drug and alcohol testing.
Customer and personal service, excavation, grading, compaction and traffic control procedures.
Critical thinking, problem solving, analyzing operations, troubleshooting and time management.
Read and write minimum High School level, solve problems using inductive reasoning, make sense of multiple information, speak clearly and sensibly and maintain calm demeanor in stressful situations.
• Occasionally stands to direct traffic, to complete tasks and to attend to reported incidents.
• Regularly sits to complete reports, routinely sits to operate special equipment.
• May be required to lift work related materials, equipment, and tools of more than 75 lbs. in weight.
• Regularly requires dexterity for special gadgets and special machines.
• Incumbents in this position may be required to routinely walk to and from work sites, occasionally bend, stoop, crawl, kneel and routinely twist.
Incumbents in this position regularly perform work at external construction areas: new and maintained County roads, easements and water ways.
SAFETY RISK EXPOSURE
Incumbents in this position may become exposed to verbal abuse by customers, or citizens; individuals with high level of emotional distress; physical danger, mechanical hazards, chemical hazards; electrical hazards; bloodborne pathogens and communicable diseases; fire hazards; explosives, respiratory hazards; extreme temperature; noise and vibration; and wetness and humidity.
PROTECTIVE GEAR & SAFETY MANUALS
Incumbents in this position are required to constantly follow written safety procedures and manuals relevant to the division or department; constantly requires safety foot wear, hearing protection devices, eye protection devices and hard hat.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR
Potential errors can result in unfavorable public perceptions and legal ramifications.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO FURNISH, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, DOCUMENTARY PROOF OF EDUCATIONS, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, LICENSE OR ANY OTHER PROOF OF COMPETENCY AS REQUIRED IN THE OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION OR
ANNOUNCEMENT AND MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND/OR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONTINUING CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FURTHER, APPLICANTS FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING OPERATION OF A COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS MUST POSSESS AND MAINTAIN COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE OPERATORS LICENSE. GILA COUNTY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISIONS OF SERVICE. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.