This is a Part Time, Non Permanent Position.
This is an excellent opportunity to work for the Office of the City Manager
. The department is in need of assistance with various clerical and customer services duties. The candidate will work at the Lobby desk greeting visitors and answering/routing phone inquiries, as well as assisting staff with clerical duties such as filing, collecting data, and drafting documents. The ideal candidate
possesses effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills, outstanding customer service skills, and the ability to work well in a busy environment where attention to detail is important.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Work on a variety of assignments and projects impacting the Huntington Beach community.
- Gain exposure to City of Huntington Beach governing practices and operational procedures.
- Provide direct service to the City of Huntington Beach community.
- Use research and writing skills in preparing data and reports and in recommending alternative options for administrative consideration.
- Work directly with residents and city staff on service delivery to the public.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments a needed.
Typical Qualifications Knowledge of
: City and departmental policies and procedures; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation as well as computer word processing and related software applications, effective public relations/customer service principles, practices and techniques. Ability to
: Work independently in the absence of a supervisor, provide excellent customer service to the community at all times; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; operate personal computers and related software, maintain accurate records; record and retrieve information, lift or move up to 50 pounds without assistance, as well as heavier objects with assistance. Education & Experience
: High school diploma or equivalent and at least two years related skilled experience plus related education and/or training. License :
By time of appointment, must have a valid California driver license with an acceptable driving record. Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a drug screen, TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.