Y5121S FIRST DAY OF FILING
September 8, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service
are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunitySPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION:$8,923.93 - $13,000.50 Per Month Effective 10/01/17$9,102.41 - $13,260.51 Per Month Effective 04/01/18DEFINITION
Works in collaboration with physicians and within written guidelines to provide complete physical examinations, diagnosis, and treatment of both chronic and episodic disorders.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class are assigned principal responsibility for primary health care of patients. The Nurse Practitioner is assigned full-time to this role and receives professional medical supervision from physicians. Incumbents of this class proceed independently in the care and treatment of patients within the scope of practice defined and agreed to by medicine, nursing, and administration. Incumbents seek the expert opinion or advice of a physician whenever the incumbent determines if a case falls outside the scope authorized by policies and protocol. The Nurse Practitioner plans and implements and a physician reviews and confirms health care goals for patients. The Nurse Practitioner remains responsible for the patient throughout the course of the treatment, provides the physical examination, the diagnosis, and the health care plan, determines when the patient has recovered, and releases the patient. The Nurse Practitioner may refer the patient to physicians for consultation or to specialized health resources for treatment but retains responsibility for clinical management as well as any subsequent modification. Incumbents may review use and effects of psychotropic drugs and other medications as well as the characteristics of mental and emotional disorders.
Essential Job Functions
- Assumes ongoing responsibility for each patient from discovery of the disorder to recovery.
- Performs complete physical examinations, including interviewing patients to obtain complete medical histories as well as ordering, interpreting and evaluating diagnostic tests and examinations.
- Diagnoses and treats both chronic and episodic disorders including complications of otherwise routine processes such as pregnancy or childhood development.
- Establishes and documents the health care plan and prognosis, maintaining records of each case that are detailed and complete for any physician reviewing them to evaluate the effectiveness of the plan.
- Initiates drug therapy, taking responsibility for other reactions as well as therapy when performed prior to consultation with a physician.
- Determines when the patient has recovered from the disorder and releases the patient.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I.
A Bachelor's degree* in Nursing or a closely related health field** from an accredited*** college or university AND a Master's degree* or higher in nursing.OPTION II
. An "accelerated" Master's degree* (in the absence of a Bachelor's degree) in nursing from an accredited*** college or university.****LICENSE(S) REQUIRED:
The required license and certificate MUST be current and unrestricted: a provisional, conditional or restricted license and certificate will NOT be accepted.PHYSICAL CLASS II- Light
- A license to practice as a Registered Nurse and a certificate to practice as a Nurse Practitioner issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Applicant's must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
- A current, active certification in accordance with the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required BLScertification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence ofBLScertification will be rejected.
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
:Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*In order to meet the Selection Requirements, applicants are required to attach a valid legible photocopy of Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree with the application at the time of filing, oremail the copies of degrees to exam analyst, Christina Royat email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of filing your application online.
Applications without the required degrees will be considered incomplete, and subject to disqualification.
**Closely related health field includes:
- Nursing Administration
- Nursing Education
- Health Science
- Healthcare Management
- Healthcare Education
- Healthcare Administration
- Public Health (for other than Public Health Nurses)
Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE).
**** To qualifyunder Option II, Applicants must attach a legible copy of your diploma or official transcripts AND official letterfrom the accredited institution that indicates the "accelerated" program with your application at the time of filing OR within 15 calendar days from application submission.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of a self-assessment based on Supplemental Questionnaire weighted 100%, covering experience, professional development, collaboration, and leadership and management skills.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing scorewill be promulgated to eligible register accordingly.
The names of the candidates receiving a passing score on this examination shall be added to the eligible register without indication of relative standing in the examination. Successful candidates will remain on the register for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made.Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If you application is incomplete, it will be rejected.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
323-914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
Christina Roy, Exam Analyst