Under general supervision, the position assists in supervising and conducting the daily operation of the City aquatics program site including the assistance in the planning and monitoring of aquatic classes and programs; and assists in the training and supervising of pool employees.CLASS CHARACTERISTICS:
An incumbent in this classification assists in teaching of specific techniques to participants in the aquatics program; assists in required pre-testing programs to divide participants into classes, divisions, or ability groups; provides for safe and enjoyable program activities; completes required department paperwork; and sets up equipment. Work is closely supervised and reviewed through regularly scheduled conferences, reports, and evaluations.
This is a part-time position, working throughout the year. Work schedules vary as needed. As a condition of employment, a Senior Lifeguard must be available for all in-service training, annual training dates, and annual fitness performance test.Incumbents will be required to attend :Orientation/training
- Typically held Monday - Thursday from 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. scheduled after hire date. Times and dates subject to change.Pre-Summer Orientation/training
- Tentatively scheduled for June 12 - 15, 2017, June 19 - 22, 2017 from 2:30 p.m - 6:00 p.m., and June 19, 2017 from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Times and dates subject to change. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Fitness test and interviews will be held by appointment at the Downtown Aquatic Center.
To be considered for possible employment, the following must be completed:
Applicants will be notified by email
- Submit an online application. Applications will be screened for minimum qualifications. Candidates who meet the qualifications will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process, Fitness Testing and Selection Interviews.
- Attend "In-Water Fitness Testing and Selection Interviews" on date you are scheduled. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be contacted by the City and invited to participate in this process.
if they meet the qualifications to attend the testing/selection process; at that time they will also be asked to sign a Registration/Waiver of Liability form. Applicants age 17 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fitness tests and interviews will be held on an as needed basis by appointment at the Downtown Aquatic Center.TESTING CRITERIA: In-Water Physical Fitness Test:
- Tread water for 120 seconds using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands above water;
- 25 yard dive and approach swim (head up) in 18 seconds or less;
- Complete a timed event within 90 seconds
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed;
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound swim brick;
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps; and
- 200 yard swim in 3 minutes and 30 seconds or less (participants are scored based on 15 second increments).
Applicants who complete the In-Water Physical Fitness Test will be invited to participate in the selection interviews. Interviews will begin after all the fitness testing is complete. Required Certifications:
Applicants must provide proof of valid original certifications prior to the first day of employment. Minimum certification requirements are as follows:
- Lifeguarding with the inclusion of first aid and CPR/AED from the American Red Cross (ARC) or an equivalent certifying body, ARC Water Safety Instructor, and the ability to obtain ARC Bloodborne Pathogens and First Aid for Public Safety Personnel within one year of hire date
The following certifications are not required but are considered as highly desirable:
- ARC Lifeguard Instructor
- ARC Lifeguard Instructor Trainer
- ARC Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- ARC First Aid for Public Safety Personnel Instructor
Please notify the Human Resources Division 72 hours in advance of the test date if you have a disability which requires accommodation for the testing process.
Applications must be completed and submitted on-line by the specified deadline to be considered for upcoming testing and selection date. Candidates are requested to provide specific information on their education and experience as it relates to the position by completing all fields of the application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. Do not include text or attached resumes, as they will not be accepted or reviewed in the application process
. Based upon the information presented on the application, a limited number of candidates who possess qualifications most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process.
All employment offers made by the City are contingent upon establishing proof of a prospective candidate's legal authorization to work in the United States and successfully passing all components of the pre-employment process which may include, but is not limited to: comprehensive background check, criminal history check (livescan fingerprint check), polygraph examination, post-offer psychological evaluation and post-offer medical evaluation (may include drug screen).
Note: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained within may be modified or revoked without notice.