In order to be qualified, you must meet the following requirements: Education and Experience (Minimum Qualifications)
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil, mechanical, chemical or metallurgical engineering, mathematics or closely related field and one year of progressively responsible technical engineering work experience involving the coordination of technical engineering work projects, having technical responsibility over a specialized engineering function or program area, serving as leadworker to technical engineering staff, independently determining work priorities, implementing and/or developing work procedures, techniques, standards and controls; OR Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical school with major course work in engineering, engineering technology, math or related field and three years of progressively responsible experience as described above; OR graduation from high school or equivalent education and five years of progressively responsible experience as described above; OR two years as an Engineering Technician III in Nevada State service; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Special Requirements
A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances. Additional Position Experience
This position may have temporary assignments away from the normal duty station of Elko.
Tell us how you heard about this job! The Examination Engineering Technician IV - Construction Division
The exam will consist of a rating of training and experience weighted 100%. It is essential that applications include extensively detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. Your score will be based on the information provided in your application and your responses to the questions asked below. If there are several parts to a question, answer each part separately. Along with each answer, identify the position(s) and/or training (as described in your application) where you gained the background asked for in the question. Absence of experience/training asked for in a question is not necessarily disqualifying. Failure to answer the questions will result in a score based solely on the application.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview.
1) Describe your training & certification(s) in the following areas: 1) NDOT courses (i.e., Surveying, Asphalt Inspection, Concrete Inspection, General Inspection, Office School, Testing School, Partnering.); 2) Certifications and expiration dates if applicable (i.e., ATSSA Traffic Control Supervisor, NAQTC, ACI, OSHA); 3) Other training, certifications, Engineering Technician related education (i.e., ICC, NICET, EI, College courses); and 4) Experience training lower level staff as assigned.
2) Describe your experience inspecting and surveying in a construction setting in the categories listed in A-I. Please answer separately for each category in A-I. Describe your experience & indicate the number of years of experience for each category. A) Surveying and construction staking B) Traffic control, inspection and implementation C) Roadway and structure excavation, borrow, backfill and drainage D) Asphalt concrete paving operations E) Bridge structures and CIDH inspection F) Traffic signals, markings and signing inspections G) Electrical, lighting and ITS inspection H) Assignment as Lead Inspector I) Utility and railroad inspection.
3) Describe your experience with construction related materials testing for each category listed in A-E and indicate the number of years in each category. A) Borrow embankment, backfill and base courses B) Asphalt and concrete paving operations C) Concrete structures D) Bridge structures E) Assignment as Lead Tester
4) Describe your experience reviewing and interpreting construction plans, standard specifications, standard drawings or special provisions, shop drawings or reinforcing steel detail drawings.
5) Describe your experience working in a construction field office with responsibilities including processing pay estimates, contract close-out, quantity reconciliation, force account analysis or contract change orders, letters of authorizations and/or preparing as-build drawings.
6) Describe your experience with partnering on a construction project.